SharePoint Alerts not Working for Group Recipients
After upgrading from SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2010, we had an issue with alerts not working for some group recipients. Individual alerts worked, and some group recipients received alerts as expected.
* Checked that other alerts were working normally. (If not, check the timer service)
* Verified that the group was an AD security group (not a distribution list), and that the AD group was email-enabled.
* Checked that the group had been explicitly added to a SharePoint group (such as the default Viewers group) with at least read permission to the site and to the list on which the alert was created.
* Verified that the SharePoint group’s membership was set to “Visible to everyone.” (People and Groups>SharePointGroupInQuestion > Settings>Group Settings)
* Manually triggered a full synchronization of the User Profile Service with synchronizations settings of “Both People and Groups”). Caution: this can be time consuming and may affect performance in large environments. Do this outside production hours if possible.
When none of these efforts resolved the issue, the following forum held a suggestion from Xing-Bing Yu to change a Mail Flow Setting for the group on the Exchange server:
1. Go to Exchange Management Console -> Recipient Configuration -> Distribution group.
2. Right-click on the problem group and choose properties.
3. On the Mail Flow Settings tab, double click on Message Delivery Restrictions.
4. Uncheck the check box “Require that all senders are authenticated”.
After the Exchange 2007 setting was changed, the alerts emailed as expected to all recipients.
When selected, this setting restricts the ability to send a message addressed to the security group to those persons in the Global Address List. SharePoint’s SMTP address was seen as foreign, so any messages with a sending address from SharePoint were not relayed from Exchange.